Definition of Digital Literacy & Online Safety
Refers to the ability to find, evaluate, utilize, share, and create content using information technologies and the Internet.
Benefits of Digital Literacy & Online Safety
- As more services go online, digitally versatile workers have an increasing advantage in many sectors ranging from information technology (IT) to the service industry. Digital skills apply to and transfer across many professions, and even enhance a worker’s ability to apply for a job.
- Digitally literate students improve the quality of their school work by easily accessing online resources including lecture videos, library databases, and teacher-student e-mail correspondence.
- Digitally literate people save time and money by paying bills, applying for jobs, doing their taxes and banking online.
- Digitally literate computer owners are far more likely to incorporate the Internet into their daily routine and realize the countless benefits of broadband.
- When an entire family is digitally literate and connected to broadband, social networking, video conferencing, and e-mail correspondence can strengthen family ties across vast geographic distances.